Tuesday, November 30, 2010

configure & make node.js under Cygwin

Just one oddity with building node.js on cygwin (it was fine Ubuntu) and that is that I could not get ./configure to complete until it occurred to me to run
unset PYTHONHOME
unset PYTHONPATH
After that the
./configure
make
make install
ran without a hitch and node/js behaving much as it does on linux. 

The python module path issue was not becuase cygwin was using my Windows values: a simple bash check with
echo $PYTHONPATH
echo $PYTHONHOME
cleared that up.
The symptom could be seem by just running a verbose python REPL at thecommand prompt
python -v
and noting the "site" package error.  Yet loading sys and doing
print sys.path
showed no obvious problem.  I have seen this gift once when a linux version upgrade required a python version upgrade.  I checked in the registery under LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE but the three values there for python25, python26 and python31 look fine (although the latter appears truncated ...)

I tried various export statements and looked for a doubtful resource rc file or other config in /etc but the answer (porbably obvious enough) eludes me.

When set and export to reasonable values and to no value fail and there is nothing else odd reported by env then unset to the rescue.

Now back to looking at axiom and sproutcore as server-side JavaScript options.

No comments: