Sunday, November 28, 2010

Epiphany Midori

I cannot hope to cover in one post what all can go wrong updating from Epiphany (Gecko) to Epiphany (webkit) - which is now just epiphany-browser in in the Ubuntu maverick universe.

I wondered that I had not left my linux install on this Winchester-free netbook in one piece.  The aptitude utility was a disaster. The dpkg appears unsuited to the load it now bears. /etc/inittab disappeared and I spent a lot of time at level 1 with a command prompt issuing telinit 0 and telinit 6.

Could I have simply moved to Midori?  Well, that green gem gave me my first linux adware from a google link (popping open tabs.)

So I am posting this using Arora, having done a pkill on chrome, firefox and epiphany-browser.

Arora seems basically useable - while uzbl looks to be what I will use for a site-specific alternative to prism or chrome 'apps' on the desktop.

No comments: