Monday, April 26, 2010

Asus Netbook and EeeBuntu (again)

Again I find myself coming back from a sleeping netbook to no wireless connection.

I thought I would post what seems to work well enough short of a diagnosis or fix:

The idea is to stop and restart two processes.
Open a terminal session then enter
sudo pkill nm-applet
sudo pkill NetworkManager
sudo NetworkManager &
sudo nm-applet &
Now the nm-applet returns to the topbar, shows wireless connections and my wireless in fact reconnects automatically within a few seconds of completing this little reset task.

The trailing ampersands leave the process running; you may not need the sudo if you run as root (for daily use I always login as a user)
You may also run the "services" app from the applications menu to check that you are not needlessly running a Bluetooth process which you do not use.

I have not had time to look into which update(s) to this EeeBuntu 3.0 may be the culprit(s).

Post a comment if you have a tip or correction ...

And I still love EeeBuntu on this lil' netbook !

No comments: