Monday, August 27, 2007

Links relating to Curl 5.0 as RIA + CSPD

Client-side persistent data or CSPD may be out of favor in the current "I'm OK, stateless's OK" buzz but I like the 'public library' model: I return a book and the only record of my having borrowed it is my own record. Just try to sell that to the Barnes&Noble / Borders / Amazon / BlockBuster / BestBuy / NetFlix "we've got your number crowd". The more radical option is the 'purchase' card whose record does not belong to a bank or credit card conglomerate: I pick the 'bank' for transactions based on interest rate. Talk about competition! Having data 'client-side' need not mean 'local to this box' but rather, "not on your server". On this model your medical records would not be held by doctor PA's, hospitals or insurers. And your privacy could be in much better hands. Ok, I'll give it a REST ...

But my links to Curl which are not links to cURL are slowly coming alive ... and Curl is CSPD friendly. It has not yet seen that client-side 'store' should be opaque to the server, but it may get there. Not middleware. Call it 'periware' and 'exolayer'.
Buy a book at Borders and then go borrow a book at your library. Now make a return at each (don't cheat and read that new book!) Now ask where your medical records belong ( "we know you are in pain, but we need at least 24 hours notice to have your records sent up." I only had to hear it once.)
Having my records at my beck-and-call does not mean that I can 'access' them. It means that I decide who can access them short of a court order. And when. And where. And that is just my medical records.
The fine print on your savings account book may explain that your money is not always available for withdrawal. And in some countries you pay to have an account and fill out forms to make any withdrawal. PayPal is as foreign to those 'service' banks as is client-side data in the current praise for HTTP.
Many years ago, when TCP/IP turned 15, we were asking when the protocol would be replaced altogether. About the same year as we asked 'Is this the year of Unix?' Perhaps the year that I finally see overhead wires go underground, I will see the system of record no longer be the central system, but the peripheral system. Periware. Exolayer. The Exonet, adumbrated. How apposite.

No comments: