Saturday, March 22, 2014

conflict in apprenticeship and enthusiasms


[ the following was briefly a Facebook post ]

my suspicion is that his marxism provides the required distance for my reading M. M-Ponty, whereas in C.M. it is his problematic Catholicism/paganism and with EC his own problematic relationship to his ethnicity as a Spaniolen Jew of eastern Bulgaria.

is that distance become a requirement for me as a reader in reaction my own problematic relationship to the leftist sycophants of the Berkeley and Columbia ex-pats in their prairie haven ?

With IM a motive in my reading is not her affair with EC at all, but is surely my suspicion of her having had an affair with that great CDN Catholic thinker ; with EH his troubling conversion to Lutheranism ...

Could I re-read Herzog or Humboldt's Gift with pleasure today, at my age, now ? Amusement, perhaps ? All that Chicago great snooks posturing !


And myself today, self-conscious as a Metis reader ? 

[ in lieu of another response to Morrissey or a letter to a Poitras cousin ]

No comments: