Thursday, September 26, 2013

running RedNotebook journal 1.7.1 on XP and Win7


If you are trying to run the RedNotebook 1.7.1 journal / diary on a Windows desktop you may have hit the same problems which I have had to resolve on XP Sp3 and Win7 Home Premium with Sp1.

If your Win XP environment contains a PYTHONHOME variable then you must set it to something inocuous such as a dot for the current directory of the Rednotebook.

I am doing this with a call to X-RedNotebook.exe in a 3-line BAT file which I summon from a 2-line VBS script that has a shortcut on my desktop ( this keeps a daft black DOS shell window from hanging around.)

On Win7 Home Premium Sp1 I could not get 1.7.1 to run as the X-RedNotebook variant until I had dragged in copies of the DLL's of which it was complaining as missing.

If you need details, drop a note.

If your upgrade to 1.7.1 went without a hitch, I would love to know the secret !




No comments: