Thursday, May 21, 2009

Xmarks and Curl on Eee PC with EeeBuntu linux

Rather than wait for the LXDE version of eeeBuntu's "base" ubuntu linux for my Asus 900A netbook, I opted to add Xmarks (formerly Foxmarks) to my FireFox browser and then built a new OS instance on an 8GB SSD HD chip in my netbook's external SSD slot. The install went fine and Curl 7.0 installed without any problem ( I then added the Curl 6.0.5 debian Surge RTE for good measure). Now the sweet part: I added Xmarks into the EeeBuntu FireFox with the passwords option and here I am - a fresh OS and all my bookmarks and passwords in place. Even Twine is up on the toolbar.

There could have been an easier way: an OS that can update itself, which could be Rebol-friendly Syllable.

But now I won't hesitate to go for the LXDE build because what will I lose? A few minutes on Synaptic to reinstall Mozart Oz and ICON 9.4.3 And even then the Oz will be out-of-date from that repository (and the repository has neither Io nor UNICON.) There has to be a better way to move up a linux version using a new SSD flash card and not lose my linux app's ...

No comments: